As the largest platform dedicated to science crowdfunding, we’ve learned a lot about what it takes to create a successful campaign for your research project. When you launch a project with Petridish, we’ll provide you with tools and tips all along the way to help you succeed. To get you started, here are a few best practices for promotion of your project:
1. Donors like to see that you already have backers before deciding to support you themselves. You should be prepared to promote your project to close supporters when the project launches, so you can generate a baseline level of support early on.
- Create an email announcement list, where you can send the project launch to friends, family, colleagues and others who you think might be interested, asking them to back you.
- Use your social networks continuously over the course of the campaign– facebook, twitter, and google plus are great ways to get the word out.
- Reach out to your colleagues and collaborators and ask them to help spread the world also
2. Keep your supporters engaged over the course of the campaign.
- Use Petridish’s “update” feature to provide frequent updates over the course of the campaign– perhaps pointing out coverage the project received, milestones it has hit, or developments in your research.
- Make sure to reply to all of the comments and questions posted on your page– this will help build excitement and discussion about your project.
3. Leverage the press and other organizations to help you reach a wider audience.
- Create a list of reporters who you think would be interested in covering your story and reach out to them when the project goes live, asking for an article. You’ll be surprised by how accessible they are.
- Create a list of organizations that may be interested in your work that could help spread the word and reach out to them. A few examples are professional organizations, charities, or groups at your university.
Got more tips? Comment and let us know! We’ll be sharing more tricks of the trade next week when we talk about communicating your message and offering rewards.